Günter Domenig. School dining hall. Graz. Austria
January 18, 2010
General view of the dining hall within the inner courtyard
The dining hall of the Franciscan Sisters' boarding school in Graz, designed by Günter Domenig, with Volker Giencke as collaborator was built between 1975 and 1977, is within the school's inner courtyard.
An 8 cm thick layer of concrete was projected over the original metallic structure to adapt to the organic forms of the porticoes. The original weatherproofing consisted of mortar with white waterproof paint. In 1987, the roofing was renovated and was covered on the outside with a 0.7 mm thick layer of zinc-titanium set onto wooden battens. Domenig, born in Klagenfurt in 1934, is one of the most relevant architects of what is called the Graz School.
Photos taken by a+t, available under request.
School dining hall
Graz, Austria 1977