Project published in a+t 42 RECLAIM Domestic Actions 2
December 15, 2014
This shoe factory was built in 1932 by the engineer Robert Shild. Manufacturing ceased in 1978. Roughly four years ago, private developer Markus Ehrat purchased the building and received a local grant for 328,000 euros to help repurpose it for residential use. Permission was given for the developer to incorporate commercial units into a new building parallel to the south facade in order to make the operation financially viable. These premises shelter the dwellings from the noise of the nearby railway line. The interior concrete structure and the facade were elements to be preserved. The structure comprises octagonal columns and variable section edge beams on the supports based on the Hennebique monolithic construction system which employs reinforced concrete. Access to the units is from a new extra-wide elevated street built onto the old construction on the first and third storeys and from an interior corridor on the second storey.
PROJECT PUBLISHED IN: